Saturday, January 28, 2012

NYC Dining Challenge Update: Junoon

I selected the modern Indian restaurant, Junoon, as my next dining destination for the 2012 Dining Challenge since it was featured in NY Magazine’s top 101 restaurants in NYC and I love Indian food. It opened in December, 2010 in the Flatiron District. The combination of the refined cuisine, elegant décor and professional staff resulted in a memorable experience for me.

I ordered the $24 three-course prix fixe lunch, which Junoon offers year-round, not just during Restaurant Week. I started with the Piri-Piri shrimp in a Goan chili sauce with an avocado and jicama salad. The Nadru Kofte main course of Kashmir lotus root and homemade fresh Indian cheese dumplings in an onion gravy with fennel powder and fenugreek leaves was superb. It was served with pulao rice and naan. The Cardamom Kulfi dessert was exquisite. I was impressed with the presentations of each course as well. It was fine dining at a very affordable price point.

I had read about the spice room downstairs where the spice blends are made daily. When I inquired if I could see it, my server, Erik, said that he would show it to me. He explained the different spices in the jars and how the Executive Chef, Vikas Khanna, blends them.

When I return next time, I will go for dinner. Scott Carney, the beverage director, created a wine list to synchronize with the Indian spices and sauces. I look forward to pairing his wines with Junoon’s sophisticated cuisine.

Next up in my Dining Challenge will be Lincoln Ristorante.



Junoon
27 W. 24th St.
New York, NY 10010
(212) 490-2100
http://www.junoonnyc.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment