Friday, January 13, 2012

NYC Dining Challenge Update: Danji



Danji
After viewing the just-opened Alfred Jensen/Sol LeWitt show at The Pace Gallery and the James Brooks/Dan Flavin exhibition at the Greenberg Van Doren Gallery in Midtown, I went to Danji for a late lunch this afternoon. I had read favorable reviews of Danji last year, including in The New York Times which named it one of the top 10 new restaurants of 2011, and in New York Magazine's list of the top 101 New York restaurants. Since my goal is to dine at all 101 restaurants this year, I was eager to try it.
Danji is located in the theater district, so if you're going to a Broadway show, it would be convenient for you. It's also very affordable. Nothing on the menu is over $20. It's a small place, with only 36 seats and most are at communal tables. Danji will take reservations for parties of six or more. My server advised me to come early for dinner.
I ordered the dup-bop (over rice) set menu of brisket bulgogi ("fire meat" or marinated beef), daikon (Korean radish) beef soup and two kimchi for a total of $14 plus tax and tip. Alternatively, I could  have ordered several small plates, such as the bulgogi beef sliders ($12). Vegetarian items are available as well.
Chef Hooni Kim is doing a terrific job and I look forward to returning soon.
I have 99 restaurants to go in my dining challenge and will keep you posted on my progress.

Danji
346 W. 52nd St. between 8th & 9th Ave.
New York, NY 10019
212-586-2880
http://www.danjinyc.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment