Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Kayaking on Long Island, NY


Peconic River
Kayaking in Oyster Bay last weekend was the catalyst for me to investigate other kayaking options on Long Island. I had not explored the Peconic River, which is the largest river on Long Island. It flows eastward through forests and farms and eventually empties into Peconic Bay, which encompasses the two bays between the North Fork and South Fork of Long Island. The town of Riverhead seemed to be the place to launch the kayak and so I looked for an outfitter in that area. I found Peconic Paddler, which rents kayaks, canoes and stand-up paddleboards.
On Saturday morning, I jumped on the train at Penn Station and headed out east. A little over two hours later, I was in Riverhead and it was a short walk from the train station to Peconic Paddler.
Peconic Paddler
I was assigned a yellow, sit-in kayak that had been stored outdoors the previous night and was full of bugs crawling all over the seat. The staff quickly washed them off and pulled the kayak on a dolly across the street to the launch site. After I secured my backpack in the kayak’s storage compartment, I found more bugs and flipped the kayak over to shake the last of the critters out of there. I then climbed into the cockpit and began the paddle up the river. I had been given a map of the river by the outfitter and was advised that for a two-hour trip, I should explore the bird sanctuary or paddle up to the beach that was past the Indian Island Golf Course.
Within minutes of paddling, I fell into a state of temporary quietude that I desperately needed after having survived a nightmare week of stock market volatility. 
As I paddled eastward, the river broadened and I passed a small marina and a few modest homes. The shoreline was mostly covered in phragmites, a large, perennial grass found in wetlands. I paddled by swans, geese, ducks and a dead crab.
I saw a couple of fellow kayakers turn into the bird sanctuary, but I kept going up the river towards the bay. I paddled under the Route 105 bridge and maneuvered around Osprey Island. The serenity of being on the river was interrupted only by an occasional airplane or jetski. As the beach on the north shore came into view, I decided that it was a good point to turn around and head back to town for lunch.

Jerry & the Mermaid
Jim Dreeben, the owner of Peconic Paddler, recommended Jerry & the Mermaid, a seafood restaurant that was within walking distance in the Treasure Cove Marina. I sat on the patio and ordered a strawberry daiquiri and the seafood stuffed crepe with a Newburg sauce. The crepe was delicious. 
Atlantis Marine World
Gray Seal
On my way back to the train station, I came across Atlantis Marine World, which had a mildly entertaining exhibit of gray and harbor seals in front of the entrance.
The train ride home felt like a whiplash back into cacophony. I was surrounded by passengers who had spent the day at the North Fork Craft Beer Festival and continued the party onboard.
Carving of a captain by the river

Peconic Paddler
tel: 1.631.727.9895

Jerry & the Mermaid
tel: 1.631.727.8489

No comments:

Post a Comment